The historical village of Shorton
The Cricketers pub in Shroton lies at the foot of Hambledon Hill – an Iron Age hill fort rising 600 feet above the village – giving the area a history dating as far back as the Neolithic period. The village itself was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and in 1961 celebrated the 700th anniversary of its charter!
Also known by the name Iwerne Courtney, Shroton is a peaceful village in North Dorset. It’s understood that the village’s original medieval pub was bought by Dorset brewery Hall & Woodhouse in the early-20th century and demolished to make way for the current redbrick building.
The pub was originally called the White Hart, before changing its name in the 1990s to the Cricketers – named after the long association with Shroton Cricket Club, which celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2007.
At around the same time, land was purchased from two neighbouring properties to create the perfect, secluded beer garden that is tucked away at the side of the pub between two rows of medieval cottages.
To this day, The Cricketers remains a favourite destination not only for locals, but also amongst weary walkers and hungry travellers passing by. Stay near The Cricketers THE TALBOT Blandford Road, Iwerne Minster, Blandford Forum DT11 8QN Tel: 01747 811269 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.talbot-iwerne.co.uk